Stories posted are written by National news Journalists, not by this blog
Our Blog Tips

Man Who Went to Register as Sex Offender Dies After Shootout With Deputies at Temple City Sheriff's Station: LASD

3-20-17 California:

California -- A man died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound after engaging in a gunbattle with deputies in the parking lot of the Temple City sheriff's station, where he had gone to register as a sex offender Monday morning, authorities said.

The man, identified only as a 47-year-old white male, entered the station located in the 8800 block of East Las Tunas Drive about 7:25 a.m. to register as a sex offender, Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department Lt. Joe Mendoza said.

The deputy at the counter inside the station realized that the man had a $40,000 warrant for his arrest in connection with a felony sex crime that occurred in the city of Los Angeles, Mendoza said. When the deputy went further inside the station and returned with other deputies in order to arrest him, the man ran toward his vehicle, the lieutenant said.

Deputies followed him into the parking lot, where the man fired upon them, leading to an exchange of gunfire, Sheriff Jim McDonnell said at a morning news conference. A sheriff's news release stated the man ran from the deputies, entered the rear passenger door of his vehicle and then armed himself with a shotgun.

The deputies, who were not struck in the incident, returned fire, sheriff's homicide Capt. Steven Katz said. At one point, a team of deputies approached the dark blue SUV with guns drawn to get a view inside the vehicle, aerial video from Sky5 showed.

A SWAT team was at the scene by 7:45 a.m. and two armored vehicles entered the parking lot. Authorities fired a flash-bang device at the SUV, but there appeared to be no movement from inside.

A short time later, authorities walked up to the vehicle behind an armored shield and opened a passenger-side door. By about 8:30 a.m., the man was pronounced dead.

Katz said he was killed by what appeared to be a self-inflicted gunshot wound, but the news release later said it wasn't clear if the self-inflicted gunshot or deputy gunfire were fatal.

A shotgun was found inside the SUV and investigators believe a handgun was also in the vehicle, the captain said.

Authorities remarked on the shootout as an example of the dangers that deputies face daily.

It remains unclear what led the man to open fire, but McDonnell said it was a concerning trend.

"We see these all too frequently now. This is the third officer-involved shooting this morning in the area. Certainly a great cause of concern," McDonnell said. "We're very, very fortunate and we're very, very thankful that no deputies were injured or killed this morning because it could have been a very different day."

The sheriff's homicide bureau, headed by Katz, is leading the investigation. ..Source.. by Anthony Kurzweil

Sex Offender Who Apparently Killed Himself In Shootout At SGV Sheriff's Station ID'd

TEMPLE CITY, CA -- A man who died from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound during a shootout with deputies in the parking lot of the sheriff's Temple Station was identified Wednesday by authorities.

The shooting happened at 7:25 a.m. Monday outside the facility at 8838 Las Tunas Drive where the man, identified by county coroner's officials as 47-year-old Andrew Lane of San Gabriel, went to register as a sex offender, according to the sheriff's department.

No deputies were injured.

According to sheriff's Lt. Joe Mendoza, while the man was in the station, a deputy learned that he was wanted on a $40,000 felony warrant.

"The deputy requested assisting deputies to take the suspect into custody," according to Deputy Kelvin Moody of the Sheriff's Information Bureau. "As the deputies approached, the suspect ran to his vehicle, entered the rear passenger door, and armed himself with a shotgun. At this point a deputy involved shooting occurred."

"The suspect remained barricaded in his vehicle and Special Enforcement Bureau personnel responded to assist with a tactical approach on the vehicle. The suspect was found to have suffered a self-inflicted gunshot wound."

Sheriff Jim McDonnell said the suspect fired shots at the deputies from his vehicle.

"There was an exchange of gunfire," McDonnell said. "Multiple rounds were fired, and the area was locked down."

SWAT deputies were summoned to the scene, but by the time they arrived, the shootout was over. They found the suspect dead inside the vehicle.

Deputies recovered a shotgun from the vehicle, and investigators believe the man also was armed with a handgun, sheriff's Capt. Steve Katz said.

"The deputies did engage in a gun battle with the suspect," Katz said. "It appears at this time that the suspect is deceased by way of a self- inflicted gunshot wound."

Investigators have not positively confirmed, however, that the suspect's fatal wound was in fact self-inflicted. Traffic was routed away from the area for several hours while an investigation was conducted.

"We are grateful that no deputies were injured or killed in the Temple Station shooting," said Association for Los Angeles Deputy Sheriffs President Ron Hernandez.

"This deliberate attack on a sheriff's substation is another reminder of the dangers deputies face every day in their jobs, where a routine day at work has the potential to turn deadly," Hernandez said.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated, please keep to the issue of the post, as we are trying to have an intelligent, relevant discussion which develops the post. Much appreciated.